The City Rescue Mission, in concert with BrightDot, is proud to invite interest
and nominations for the Director of Development role, reporting to the Executive Director.
About City Rescue Mission (New Castle, PA)
Founded in 1911, the City Rescue Mission believes in God's redemptive power to heal and change lives.
This is a ministry with a rich evangelical history. Today, the Mission exists to meet the physical, emotional, relational and spiritual needs of hurting people in western Pennsylvania. As a Christian ministry, the City Rescue Mission proudly and uniquely stands apart from other human service agencies. Services are provided based on need, rather than ability to pay. All services are gifted to neighbors in need that seek help for their physical and spiritual needs. Through faith-based programming, guests and clients often experience personal and spiritual growth, resulting in newly-created possibilities for a renewed life.
The City Rescue Mission's ministries are funded 100% from private sources. The City Rescue Mission receives no governmental support and operates with the highest degree of financial stewardship and accountability. The Mission is accredited annually by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA) and adheres to its “Seven Standards of Responsible Stewardship.” The City Rescue Mission's certification through the Citygate Network confirms the Mission's commitment to excellence and ensures good stewardship of the Mission's resources.
Who we desire:
First and most importantly, as all staff are considered Evangelical Christian missionaries, you are an avowed Christian and in mind, body and spirit, embrace and accept the City Rescue Mission Doctrinal Statement. The foundation of this statement is that the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ’s atonement and not by works.
You are a leader worth following. You possess gifts of strategy and competence anchored in a collaborative, authentic leadership and interpersonal style, and you will develop passion around building the culture of philanthropy to City Rescue Mission both within the organization and in our broader community. Utilizing a biblical model of stewardship, you are responsible for directing the ministry’s identification, cultivation, and acquisition of financial and material resources needed to operate City Rescue Mission.
You will bring more than just passion for our mission, though; you will also come with proven results in leading a team, as both the Development Associate and Gifts Processor report to you. Your experience will include building sustainable individual and organizational giving systems, and being a well-respected colleague who can foster productive, healthy relationships with those you work for and alongside. You will be responsible for envisioning and leading the City Rescue Mission’s next phase of donor engagement and fundraising innovation. You will build resource development and philanthropy strategies properly aligned with our brand, messaging and Christian values.
Finally, you are emotionally and culturally intelligent, socially aware, able to be “on” in the community even outside of work hours, and naturally able to relate to others and build mutually-beneficial relationships.
You are unquestionably:
- Christ-centered, mission-focused and results-driven. You’re committed to building and strengthening one of the area’s most iconic missional brands, and infusing your efforts and style to assist in our vision to truly bring the love and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ into the lives of all we serve. You’re focused on driving the development team toward a common goal and don’t shy away from challenges as you work toward raising the bar and greater results.
- A visionary. You’re constantly assessing external and internal conditions that affect your priorities, your team’s work, and the donor base’s engagement with the ministry. You can quickly innovate and adapt when needed to ensure we’re continuously moving toward achieving our goals. You often see the path before others know it’s even there.
- A strong strategic thinker. You thrive on solving complex problems – you understand and analyze their root causes quickly and can stay focused on the big picture by quickly developing new solutions and engaging others to support you.
- An adept leader. You provide strategic vision and quickly motivate others to act.
- An authentic manager. You know it takes a thriving, cross-talented team to achieve results and you’ll leverage and develop talent to maximize impact.
- A clear communicator. You have an ability to listen actively and communicate professionally with a wide range of constituents both internally and externally. You can influence decision-makers toward actions benefiting our goals.
- Technologically savvy. You’re proficient in the use of computer software and fundraising software relevant to your work, with particular emphasis on our DonorPerfect software.
Among other things, you will:
- Lead the creation and then own a comprehensive, actionable Donor Engagement and Development Production plan that on an annual and longer-term basis, guides your team’s strategies and tactics.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, provide authentic leadership and management of City Rescue Mission’s overall annual giving, major gifts, donor cultivation, donor relations and stewardship, and special events to support development goals.
- Possess noted capability of closing five-and-six figure commitments to brighten our mission in response to your invitation and a donor’s discernment, including with transformative initiatives and campaigns.
- Assess the needs of your team and bring both creative and traditional solutions to ensure your team is as productive and fulfilled as possible.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors and prospects; develop engagement plans for each key donor and prospect, and involve leadership and others as necessary to ensure healthy donor relationships.
- Build a strong bond with colleagues, creating a true and lasting “marriage” between resource development and program teams.
- Ensure that all development strategies and tactics work hand-in-hand to produce a cohesive message and prominent City Rescue Mission brand within our service area.
- Be an inspiring communicator, capable of speaking publicly on behalf of City Rescue Mission and advocating the mission and opportunities for support.
- Represent City Rescue Mission in the community on boards, commissions and panels and appear at events that support the ministry’s engagement and fundraising goals.
- Work with leadership to create and manage the development team budget.
- Ensure that data is being leveraged appropriately in fundraising efforts, and maintain effective and consistent use of our contact management system (DonorPerfect).
You’ll need to bring:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible work experience in a non-profit fundraising or business development role.
- Christian-based development experience, ideally.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a supervisory position with both cultural and results-oriented growth.
- A proven track record in closing gifts from individuals and organizations.
- Solid experience in strategic planning and transforming a strategic vision into action.
- A record of success driving and sustaining a change in an organization’s cultural performance; experience retaining constituents and expanding a revenue base.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that are apparent from our first meeting.
- A collaborative and flexible style, team player who is driven to serve others.
Are you interested, or would like to nominate someone?
BrightDot, a national nonprofit and ministry performance consulting firm, is pleased to be assisting City Rescue Mission in this important search. Confidential expressions of interest, for either yourself or another potential applicant, are welcomed. To engage the search process and learn about next steps, please contact Scott Koskoski, Partner & Performance Mentor at BrightDot, at (720) 648-2722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more: http://www.cityrescuemission.org. This position is located in New Castle, PA. Compensation is commensurate with experience and abilities. A supportive professional culture and attractive set of benefits accompanies this role.